The Czech Social Science Data Archive (CSDA) is a national data services center for the social sciences, which acquires, processes, documents, and stores digital data files from scientific projects and makes them available for further analytical use in scientific research and teaching at universities.
ČSDA is a part of the Institute of Sociology of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic and is the Czech national node of the pan-European research infrastructure CESSDA ERIC (the Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives) and its service provider in the Czech Republic. The Czech Social Science Data Archive is a project of the Roadmap of Large Research Infrastructures of the Czech Republic, which is supported by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.
Main activities of CSDA:
Promoting the use of secondary data analysis in research, which includes::
- The acquisition and archiving of data files from Czech social science research projects and international surveys with Czech participation, and the provision of public access to them.
- Providing technical and organizational support for large-scale research surveys in the Czech Republic, such as the Czech surveys of the International Social Survey Program (ISSP).
- Promoting the use of secondary data analysis in research, which includes:
- the production of instructional and information materials, the organization of seminars, the provision of professional courses, and involvement in teaching in the field of data management, methodology, and the analysis of social science data;
- the mapping and analysis of available data sources, the provision of information services, and support for the use of data sources;
- the interconnection of Czech and international data sources and research in the field of data standardization and harmonization;
- research in the field of data quality and methods of social science analysis.
The archive professionally processes data, connects them with relevant research information, and places them in context with other data and materials. At the same time, it is a source of research tools and procedures verified in previous research and thus creates starting points for the implementation of new research investigations. The aim is to provide comprehensive data services focused on the reuse of data in the research process, which are based on the principles of FAIR data (principles for the findability, accessibility, interoperability and reuse of research data).
We cooperate with the project Czech National Node ESS - European Social Survey (ESS-CZ). CSDA / ESS-CZ is the joint project of an integrated research infrastructure currently under preparation and scheduled to begin in 2023. The European Social Survey website can be found HERE.
A publicly accessible social science data archive was first established at the Institute of Sociology of the ASCR (SOÚ) in 1998 under the name the Sociological Data Archive (SDA).
In 2001, the SDA became a member of the Council of European Social Science Data Archives CESSDA and joined the system of international data exchange.
In 2010, the project of archiving and the involvement of the Czech Republic in CESSDA was included in the Roadmap of Large Research Infrastructures of the Czech Republic for the first time and received support from the Ministry of Education.
In 2011, the name of the SDA was changed to the Czech Social Science Data Archive (CSDA).
In 2013, the distributed European research infrastructure CESSDA (Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives) was established on the basis of the informal association CESSDA. The Czech Republic is a founding member and ČSDA is the national node of CESSDA.