CSDA provides the long-term storage of research data and accompanying documentation. It enables the deposition of data of various types, both quantitative and qualitative. Data storage takes place on the basis of agreements between data producers and the Institute of Sociology of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic (of which ČSDA is a part).
Thanks to its position in the Academy of Sciences, its membership of the European network of social science archives CESSDA, and its own experience with working with data, the ČSDA team can ensure that data will be adequately described, controlled and secured. The status of ČSDA as a trusted archive is also confirmed by its having obtained the Core Trust Seal certification.
Data archiving benefits both data producers and the research community as a whole. Data-creating researchers can benefit from the fact that the data archive ensures the long-term storage of their data files along with documentation. At the same time, the long-term storage of research data is an essential precondition for this data to be distributed and reused.
Advantages of archiving for data producers:
- Data storage on reliable media and backup. The spatial distribution of stored data ensuring that data remains lost and remains available for reuse.
- Readable data without time limits. We regularly check and update data.
- Archived data files can be used in publications to easily refer to their description; we also use DOI (Digital Object Identifier).
Benefits for the wider research community:
- Based on contracts with data depository, the data archive makes data and related metadata available to students, social scientists, and other people outside the research project in which the data was created. These users can thus benefit from data collected by other researchers.
- Other benefits of data archiving are described in the Data Management Guide material created by the European archiving organization CESSDA.